Monday, June 25, 2012

Summer Fun!

     So what do teachers do in the summer when they don't have a classroom full of eager students? We subject our own children to our educational creative genius, of course :).
     This was a quick and simple activity that I did with my three and a half year old to reinforce letter recognition and sounds.  It could easily be adapted to numbers, word families, colors, math facts or even used for animal habitats.  The materials you need are a pen, dot stickers, and a smooth surfaced ball.  Decided what skill you want to focus on and fill in the dot stickers.  In my case, I wrote the uppercase alphabet.  I had a few open spots on my soccer ball so I made smiley faces that were used a a free choice.  Once your dots are all filled  in simply place them on your ball.
    To play just toss the ball back and forth.  For each catch, look to see which sticker their right thumb is touching.  My son doesn't know his left and right yet, so we just went with what ever sticker either thumb was touching.  I had him identify the letter and the sound it makes.  For more fun, we tried to think of a word that started with that letter.  I hope you have as much fun with this as we did!


Happy summer,


Julie
Two Tangled Teachers

1 comment:

  1. What a cute idea! I can use that in the classroom and with my own little munchkins at home too!

    Thanks for sharing!

    I'm your newest follower. I found you through a post on TPT for second grade teachers. I also teach 2nd.

    www.secondgradealicious.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete